We had to quickly change our program this month, so we’ve chosen to view a 2019 video titled How We Let Go, created by Rebecca Fox and Anthony Magnabosco, the authors of a survey taken December 2018-March 2019 from 850 atheists, humanists and skeptics about how they let go of their faith beliefs. They were asked 36 questions about their personal experiences and while their answers provide useful data for atheist advocacy, it’s not just data: the honest, moving and often darkly humorous comments inspire artistic and philosophical exploration. This portrait of the atheist community will help us know ourselves and each other better.
Following the 16-minute video, we’ll tackle some of the survey questions ourselves, which might include:
• Was there a particular big question or problem with your beliefs that troubled you first? Was it philosophical or personal?
• What did you imagine the ‘worst case scenario’ might be if you let go of your faith beliefs? Did ttat scenario actually happen?
• Have you ever had an experience that at the time you characterized as spiritual, mystical or supernatural? How did this affect your faith beliefs at the time?
• Which areas of your life are affected most positively by discarding your beliefs?
• Which areas of your life are affected most negatively by discarding your beliefs?
• Do you think you are ‘better off’ or ‘worse off’ without your faith beliefs?
• What do you wish someone had told you when you were in the midst of reevaluating your beliefs?
We’ll follow up with links to the video, survey, social media and more info about the survey/video creators.
This meeting requires advance registration. After registering, you’ll receive a confirmation email with the link to join the meeting.
Come early and join us for social time at 1:00 pm (the Zoom confirmation start time will say 1:00).
The program will start at 1:30 pm.